Monday, January 23, 2012

"Reading Like a Writer"

“Reading like a writer” such a simple concept yet so foreign. One would think that since we all have written more than our fair share of essays and research papers, and read dozens of books that we would be more equipped to write legibly and thus be enabled to “read like a writer”. Unfortunately the process, like everything else in life, takes practice. However, fortunately for me, this was drilled into me from day one in my AP English class my senior year. “Analyze, analyze, analyze, identify, interpret, identify, identify, interpret….,” the ceaseless voice of my teacher pounding each every form of rhetoric and proper analytical jargon that pertained to the world of literature, into my head.
            Yet even so, in the subjective informal, and yet so formal literature world there is always more to interpret. So how could one possibly read like a writer. It’s remembering to identify the author’s purpose, their thesis, genre. Who are they writing for? To whom are they writing? How are they writing it? And why are they writing it? With those simple questions, one can begin to attempt to read like a writer. And especially when it comes to writing a research paper, and research for it, these can be key pieces that can hopefully get you started on the road to success, and receiving a lovely little “A” at the top of your paper.
            For me, keeping these questions in mind, they have helped me to begin the writing process for the Memory and Research paper. And though I’ve only done a little research thus far for it, I have been attempting to employ these tactics. It’s coming slowly at first, reiterating the questions over and over in my head, but they have proved to be pretty beneficial. As for last night’s reading, it didn’t so much change my perspective on ‘critical reading’ as really just give me a reminder of that this is what it’s all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment